Celtic Sounds - Uilleann Pipe sounds with Tin whistle fingering?

Questions discussions about the things that actually make the sound, i.e. MIDI apps, synthesizers, soft synths, etc.
chardc2

Celtic Sounds - Uilleann Pipe sounds with Tin whistle fingering?

Post by chardc2 »

Hi All,

I am planning on using WARBL with the Celtic Sounds App on an iOs system.

I am mostly excited to try the Uilleann Pipe sounds on the app (which sounds awesome in the videos I've seen!) I am however unable to play the Uilleann pipes but can play a 'D' tin whistle.

I am just wondering if it is possible to use the Uilleann Pipes sounds on the app (including the drones) but utilise 'D' tin whistle fingering and note output? This way I can 'fake' playing the pipes (but obviously not have as much range as the pipes would). Is this fairly straight forward to do, or would I need to play with the warbl configuration app to make this happen? Or is it simply not possible?

I just thought I would check this before purchasing the Celtic Sounds App.

Finally, if it is not possible with the Celtic Sounds app, does anybody know of an app where I can achieve what I'd like to above?

Thanks in advance all!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Celtic Sounds - Uilleann Pipe sounds with Tin whistle fingering?

Post by admin »

Yes, absolutely- the sound that the app produces are completely separate from the fingering pattern that you choose to use with WARBL, so switching from tin whistle to uilleann sounds is as simple as selecting the sound in Celtic Sounds. I don't play pipes either, so I normally use the whistle fingering as well. WARBL is set up for tin whistle fingering by default, so you should be able to just plug it in, open Celtic Sounds, and start playing. It is a good idea to calibrate the sensors to your fingers at some point, though.

To use the drones, you will need to make one change in the Configuration Tool: You'll need to choose how you want to turn the drones on and off, which you can do with a button, with a certain pressure from a bag (or breath if you're using the mouthpiece), or you can have them turn on/off with the "chanter" (whatever melody notes you're playing). You just select the radio button for your preferred option in the Drones Panel in the Config Tool, and then click "Save settings for Current Instrument". Just let me know if you have any questions.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz