ZynAddSubFx

Questions discussions about the things that actually make the sound, i.e. MIDI apps, synthesizers, soft synths, etc.
LouisB

ZynAddSubFx

Post by LouisB »

Has anyone else tried the ZynAddSubFx with the Warbl?

For me it works quite well, it seems to respond faster than it does with FluidSynth. Another advantage is that a lot of the sounds do not include vibrato as I want to use my breath to create my own vibrato. With fluidsynth soundfonts a lot of the samples are recorded with vibrato which you cannot remove. ZynAddSubFx does not respond to the breath control #cc2 but it works fine with breath pressure on volume #cc7

If you want to hear what is sounds like when using ZynAddSubFx on the warbl please see my post here: viewtopic.php?f=8&p=1027#p1027

Some of my favourite presets with ZynAddSubFx are:
  • olivers-100/Concertina
  • Reed and Wind/Breathy1
  • Choir and Voice/Voiced Synth
  • olivers-100/Folk Flute
  • olivers-other/Rustic flute thingy
  • Brass/Analog Brass 4
You can try ZynAddSubFx using vst or installing LMMS which is available on Windows, Mac and Linux. I much prefer ZynAddSubFx over Respiro which I don't really like the sounds because for me there is an overuse of reverb as well a lot of wacky effects. (That said ZynAddSubFx also has loads of unusable wacky sounds as well).

Louis
gonzoB

Re: ZynAddSubFx

Post by gonzoB »

So how do you adjust ZynAddSubFx so that the velocity on the noteon doesn't limit the volume? For expressive instruments like the Warbl that can increase volume after the noteon you want to be able to do that.

There are some nice sounds on the Zynthian's selection of ZynAddSubFx presets!

Gonzo
---------------------------
Gonzo Projects Page: https://gonzos.net/projects
LouisB

Re: ZynAddSubFx

Post by LouisB »

Oh i have my warbl set to 'force max velocity' and then on the Zynthian I have added a MIDI-FX called "MIDI CC Map" that maps #cc2 onto #cc7 so I don't have to reconfigure the warbl 'send pressure as CC'. This is not ideal for either for fluidsynth (which cannot change the sample playing after it has started -- but fortunately most fluidsynth wind samples only use one m sample to cover ppp m and fff) or for ZynAddSubFx where I am stuck on the fff sound. But they don't sound too bad to me I don't know how many of the presets have different tones for ppp m and fff.

It would be good to get ZynAddSubFx patched so that it accepts the #cc2 breath controller.