SWAM bass flute for iPad

Questions discussions about the things that actually make the sound, i.e. MIDI apps, synthesizers, soft synths, etc.
jimhanks

SWAM bass flute for iPad

Post by jimhanks »

A quick run through of the SWAM bass flute app using the WARBL and NAF fingerings
https://youtu.be/HFfwJGiFYrg
fhenryco

Re: SWAM bass flute for iPad

Post by fhenryco »

Glad to know that the breath controller preset is a good choice on the SWAM side. Now i'm wondering what should be the expression settings in the warbl config tool for playing with this SWAM preset.

So far on the warbl config tool i have activated both send pressure as CC (number 7) and send pressure as velocity...but i dont know if it's good to have both activated...
and for both the mapping is [0, 8.4] in H20 ==> [0, 127] which seems not so bad (?)
i also currently use curve 3 for CC7 and curve 1 for velocity...no idea if this is optimized ...or how this is interplaying with the corresponding curves in the SWAM settings
jimhanks

Post by jimhanks »

fhenryco wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:40 pm Glad to know that the breath controller preset is a good choice on the SWAM side. Now i'm wondering what should be the expression settings in the warbl config tool for playing with this SWAM preset.
Since you only have one CC to worry about, I suspect most of the SWAM presets would work with WARBL as long as both sides agree on the CC being used.

I generally do think sending expression and velocity is useful. Most synths do something with velocity and mapping it to your breath pressure generally feels natural in my experience

Here's my latest WARBL configuration, but a lot of it is personal preference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLWryM5LN_g
fhenryco

Post by fhenryco »

thank you ! I think i have now the close to perfect setting. The problem i had before is that even using the breath controller preset, it was the general volume that was assigned instead of the expression. I hope that midi expression pedals should allow to control confortably other CC effects, i'm going to buy and try them: i already have one of my 3 digital piano pedals (the sustain one) which does the job correctly, but the two others are mere switches.
I was wondering if it's possible to find a set of really continuous (usable with CC) three piano pedals , which would be the cheapest solution , but apparantly not!
jimhanks

Post by jimhanks »

another option is to map breath to more than one thing in SWAM as I outline in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je1WdbL7z3E&t=331s

If you really want more controllers, you may be better off getting a more sophisticated controller (EWI, Sylpho, etc.). Pedals are generally "clumsy" when it comes to the kind of control you ultimately want here, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.