Empress ZOIA

Questions discussions about the things that actually make the sound, i.e. MIDI apps, synthesizers, soft synths, etc.
mojozart

Empress ZOIA

Post by mojozart »

Does anyone have experience creating WARBL-friendly patches for the Empress Zoia?

It's a modular synth (subtractive/FM) and effects pedal. I suspect it is not difficult to create something cool controlled by the WARBL.

Anyone have tips, suggestions or tricks?

This may be a longshot, but I did notice that some wind players were eyeing the Zoia when it was released a few years ago.

In this tutorial, a NuRAD player constructs a breath-controlled 2-oscillator subtractive synth with effects:

https://youtu.be/bGPlMKzb2w0

This patch features some breathy tones:

https://patchstorage.com/the-bellows/
PaulJF

Re: Empress ZOIA

Post by PaulJF »

That's so awesome. (both the controller and the synth... and the dude playing).

I could be wrong but it looks like hes driving the synth directly with CV (which totally sidesteps all the issues I have found with midi pitch bend slewing/easing) and allows direct connection to some super synths like the Empress

Now whether the Warbl could be reconfigured to output CV ????... hmmmm
You know, if it could be reconned for CV/gate it might actually be a better controller than the NuRaD in some ways as you have the light sensor data for glissando.

I am a bit of a techy on the mech/hyd front but sadly I have no idea about electronic

If I look at the schematic there is a jack out and a 5v feed from the USB which is what you would need for CV out.
whether the board can be reprogrammed to output the required 0-5V on the jack is a question for mr Warbl dev.

@admin
Hi Andrew, just throwing this out there. As above, (apologies if this is something covered before)

CV/gate out on the jack a possibility???

that would push the already awesome Warbl in to stratospheric levels of awesomeness.
mojozart

Re: Empress ZOIA

Post by mojozart »

Thanks. I don't think CV is needed to control ZOIA.

The ZOIA has a (TRS) MIDI connection and each parameter can be modulated by MIDI CC.

To play ZOIA with WARBL, one needs a USB to TRS converter, like a CME WIDI Jack.

It's the design of the patch itself that I have questions about, but I think most questions will be answered by just doing it.