Not really a WARBL issue, but could use help with Univ. Piper on Windows laptop

Questions discussions about the things that actually make the sound, i.e. MIDI apps, synthesizers, soft synths, etc.
Cymrych79

Not really a WARBL issue, but could use help with Univ. Piper on Windows laptop

Post by Cymrych79 »

Hi all,

I'm super new to WARBL (like, it came in the mail yesterday), and it's been at least 15 years since I had a physical practice set in my hands, so I'm relearning pretty much from the beginning. But I got WARBL playing well with my laptop via the configuration tool and Sforzando. Then I decided to try the trial version of Universal Piper. Followed the instructions and installed the configuration for the WARBL fingerings for uilleann pipes into the folder as instructed, selected the WARBL - Uilleann Pipes under Midi Chanter, and figured out how to get uilleann drones going rather than GHB drones.

Then I ran into a small snag. Namely, playing bottom D didn't produce a D, but an E. First finger bottom hand wasn't Eb, but Gb/F#. Two fingers up bottom hand also produced a Gb, not an F, etc.

So I figure I likely messed something up in the set up but I can't figure what. I see that the file I put into the the Open Folder under Preferences is a .CTM file that's only 1 kb in size, whereas the native files in that folder are all .UPL files between 4 and 18 mb in size. Might this be the issue?

An alternative is that I can go in and adjust all the played notes to what they should be, and save it as a new instrument. This was my first impulse, but I'm running into the problem that I don't know what tones I should select as I go. I'm getting myself all confused, and a part of that confusion is just because I've been away from the pipes for so long I don't know what exactly I should be hearing given a particular fingering, not to mention the fingerings themselves are still more than a bit fuzzy in my memory (especially into the 2nd octave).

Any thought on what I did wrong here? Or alternatively, if you have screenshots of how your Harmony section looks for the WARBL uilleann pipes, could you share them?

Thanks in advance,
Jason
Cymrych79

Re: Not really a WARBL issue, but could use help with Univ. Piper on Windows laptop

Post by Cymrych79 »

Quick update: I still have no clue why the WARBL was imported into Universal Piper with all chanter tones all being 1 full-step high. But I successfully took the time to remap all the tones back down to what they should be in a custom saved instrument. It's still probably just something stupid I did on my end, but this solution works in lieu of actual knowledge about what I'm doing in UP. I haven't yet gone through to see how botched the relative intonation might be for each tone. That'll be a rainy day project down the line. For now, I'm just happy to have a working chanter to jump back into lessons... I think my last "homework assignment" from ~15 years ago might be considered a little tardy, lol.

Thanks,
-Jason
admin
Site Admin

Re: Not really a WARBL issue, but could use help with Univ. Piper on Windows laptop

Post by admin »

Sorry for the delay in replying to this-- I'm glad you got it figured out, and I don't remember exactly why the WARBL preset doesn't give the correct tuning, but I find it easier to just select "MIDI Keyboard or other" instead of "MIDI Chanter". I believe that if you then have the transposition in UP set to "0" and the key in the WARBL Configuration Tool to "D" (the default), then everything should work correctly. Then you don't have to bother with importing the preset for WARBL, which I believe really just assigns the transposition. It's been a while since I've used UP, though, because it's been discontinued on iOS. UP is great because it's so flexible, but that also can make it a bit confusing to set up.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz