Initial thoughts

Feel free to post any broad WARBL questions or comments here.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Initial thoughts

Post by admin »

Thanks for the photos, those are great. I may ask you for some measurements when the time comes;) The connectors at the bottom of WARBL make it so that I couldn’t move the bottom hole lower while maintaining the current overall length, but when I design a longer version I’ll take all this into consideration.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

By the way, did what I said about vibrato make sense? I’m happy to take a look at it if there’s a more logical way to do it. It may help to limit the number of holes that are available for vibrato (which you can do now at the bottom of the slide/vibrato panel), or we could possibly come up with a “custom” vibrato option for GHB (assuming that’s the pattern you’re using) that only allows certain fingering patterns for vibrato.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
Fiddlerwill

Post by Fiddlerwill »

I think if you could apply the system from UP and whistle , custom Vibrato to ghb that should do it .
Even though I have just 2 fingers designated for vibrato and depth set at 6 it still seemed to cause issues but It could be just that I’m not all set up right yet on the three instruments . .
The other thing is that often a ‘ vibrato’ actually is a tone modifier rather than pitch , but I don’t know if that’s possible to set up . I use Universal piper mainly . The small pipes , uilleann and uilleann Bb in Ghb mode to emulate pastoral pipes . (As well as single octave GHB but I’m useing the Blair mostly for GHB )
Cheers
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I haven’t extensively tested the vibrato with closed fingering systems, so I’m not too surprised that there may be some issues. I would guess that what happens is that a finger is sometimes partly lifted when a note is triggered, and then that finger is lowered the rest of the way, triggering vibrato. I’ll look into what it would take to add a “custom” vibrato algorithm like there is for whistle and uilleann.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I've been thinking more about the vibrato, and I don't think the "custom" system that whistle and uilleann uses would be great for GHB because it is more geared toward an open playing style, so I'd like to develop a better option for GHB. If I understand your initial suggestion, you'd like to see it so that if you play a note in a closed/semi-closed position and then raise a finger, it will sharpen the note, is that correct? I agree that that seems to make the most sense, as with something like GHB it's assumed that a note will play in tune with one of the closed positions in the fingering chart, so raising one of those fingers should sharpen the note. With tin whistle, on the other hand, the notes play in tune with an open position, so lowering a finger or fingers gradually flatten the note and bring it out of tune. If this sounds correct I'll think about a way to implement it with a custom system for GHB.

That's an interesting idea about modifying tone with or instead of pitch. I experimented in Universal Piper a bit, and because you can assign a CC to tone controls, you can currently use breath vibrato to modify the tone (by "sending pressure as CC"), and it works well. It would require a bit of a rewrite to send a CC instead of pitchbend with finger vibrato, but I'll give it some thought. It's possible that there's an app available that will remap pitchbend to a CC, but I'm not sure.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm working on this now-- does it make sense to use the R3 and R4 fingers for vibrato on GHB (middle/index fingers of right hand)?
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
2Dog

Post by 2Dog »

Instead of making the WARBL larger, wouldn't it make more sense to find a chanter that with modifications the WARBL could fit inside. Could be sold as an accessory. Would most liley have to bore it out and enlarge the holes to match the WARBL sensors and buttons. Have the wire coming out the side.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The PCB is 1/2” wide, so I don’t think that there would be a chanter large enough in diameter, would there? It would be a possibility to make a version inside a chanter, but I think at that point the price would be around the same as the other chanter options out there and it would lose some versatility, i.e. whistle and flute players probably wouldn’t use the same device. I guess my preference would be to just make a longer version that could appeal to a wider variety of players, i.e. Irish flute, low whistle, GHB, uilleann, etc., as my sense is that the low price point and versatility are what distinguishes it from the other chanters like the Blair.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
2Dog

Post by 2Dog »

Another thought would be to cut the top and bottom of a chanter off and put the ends on the WARBL thus extending the length. You could offer skins to match. One video shows how a mouthpiece to another instrument was mounted on the WARBL to make it more whistle or recorder like. Maybe a skin to resemble a tin whistle? Or maybe post the pattern to match the holes and buttons and we could make our own. Others sell skins for the WX 5 and EWI windcotolleras. http://www.egraphicworld.com/WX5.htm
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sounds good. Your main reason for wanting a longer version is for the expanded hole spacing, though, is that correct? Or was it more for appearance?
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz