IOS & Mac

Questions discussions about the things that actually make the sound, i.e. MIDI apps, synthesizers, soft synths, etc.
2Dog

IOS & Mac

Post by 2Dog »

I did get the PUC+ to power the WARBL and send midi to iPhone, iPad mini and Mac. It also keeps the WARBL for using power from your devices. Sounds got better on iPad and much better on Mac. I don't like the control of the vsts that I have set up for my AE10 and that will not be an issue as I don't want to sound like a sax or trumpet on the WARBL. It does a good job on organ, guitar and key sounds on my Mac. Did notice that the sax sounds in SampleTank sound more like a flute on the WARBL and I can use them. I am going to stick with using the iPad mini as it is more portable.
Used Midi Pipes to trigger Matt's patches on Mac version of Korg M1 and liked those for flute. Used universal piper on iPad and that came to life much more than using other wind controllers that i have tried. If have not changed the WARBL's settings yet and using out of the box settings. Now to drive my neighbor crazy with Scotland the Brave on pipes. Using a rechargeable Bose sound link speaker for a small amp for testing and I have a soft case that hooks onto my belt for untethered bag pipe sounds.
ubizmo

Re: IOS & Mac

Post by ubizmo »

The are a few videos on YouTube or Calvin Chong playing WARBL using ThumbJam on iPad. He favors the string sounds, which sound fine in the videos, but I don't really understand what makes for a good software synth for a wind controller. I'd imagine it's about continuous control for dynamics, and sensitivity to attack. What about diaphragm vibrato? I'll be doing a lot of experimenting.
2Dog

Post by 2Dog »

Some fingerings have been set up to respond to finger vibrato. Can’t do that on my other controller. Lip vibrato is out unless you use the TEC Breath & Bite along with WARBL in bag mode. What makes a good sound is what sounds good to you and responds to whatever controller you use. Some use samples which take a lot of memory and processing power. They tend to be on the Mac with some stripped down versions on iOS. There is something called acoustic bias. A acoustic sax player not liking sax sounds as when you play a sax you hear it differently than the audience. You my like strings but a violin player may hate it as it’s not what they are use too and you may have played something that is not possible to play on the acoustic instrument like notes out of its range. I spent a lot of time and money searching for sounds. Tend to find the more useful ones on Mac. Found plenty on iOS for WARBL that did not respond well to my other controller’s settings. I could have changed that but it would have caused problems elsewhere. Amplification and EQ can make a big difference. Some YouTube videos are not recorded very well. If you listen to them through your phone or laptop speakers it will sound even worst. Suggest using good quality headphones.
Last edited by 2Dog on Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ubizmo

Post by ubizmo »

I'm new to this, so I may have my concepts and term scrambled. I was able to do diaphragm vibrato on the aerophone GO. I think it depends on the synth being able to interpret "aftertouch" signals. That is, as I understand it, control codes that are sent after the note is initiated. For diaphragm vibrato that would mean quick changes in volume. But it seems to me that for meaningful dynamics at all you'd need to be able to vary the volume of long notes. Even keyboards (organ anyway) do that. So diaphragm vibrato ought to be possible. Getting in over my head, I think I've read that the synth has to be able to handle "CC2" data, whatever that means.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yep, you can map air pressure to CC2 (or any CC), so you can do breath vibrato that way. You can also use the “expression” feature to vary pitch with breath as well.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz