button behavior

Feel free to post any broad WARBL questions or comments here.
ralphsilat

button behavior

Post by ralphsilat »

Hi all.

Does switching on 'send pressure as cc' affect one's button behavior settings?
admin
Site Admin

Re: button behavior

Post by admin »

No, it has no effect on the button settings.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
ralphsilat

Post by ralphsilat »

Thanks for replying!

Hmm...Strange. Tried it again and got the same result. I have my Warbl set up to allow the 'secret' button to turn the drone on and off. Switching on 'send pressure as cc' however makes the secret button behave like the 'turn on/off with chanter' Drones Control. I wonder, should I change the Channel or CC value in the Expression menu?

Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, you may be controlling the volume of the drones with whatever CC you are using. If the app you are using allows a different channel for drones, you could try that. Which app are you using?
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
ralphsilat

Post by ralphsilat »

I'm using Michael Eskin's Celtic Sounds. But, just for the heck of it, I sometimes play that app in combination with Garage Band or Synth One. Could that be the problem?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

With Celtic Sounds, it’s probably not possible to control the chanter volume separately from the drones volume, so if you are using “send pressure as CC” to control the volume of the app as a whole, the drones volume will change with chanter volume. It sounds to me that that is what’s happening, as that setting shouldn’t have any effect on your drones “secret button” setting. I don’t think that using GarageBand or SynthOne at the same time would cause a problem, except that the drones on/off command is a NoteOn event, so it would cause a note to play in those other apps, unless you can somehow get them to ignore it (I don’t know of a way in either of those apps).
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
ralphsilat

Post by ralphsilat »

I see. I should think of the instrument with 'send pressure as cc' activated as a standalone chanter or some similar free reed instrument since it can be played like such. I'll reserve my drone for the instrument I play with a bag. It all makes sense this way. Thanks Andew! 😊
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No problem! Yes, with some apps (like Universal Piper, I believe), you can assign a different channel and/or CC for the chanter and drones, so you can apply effects to them independently. That's not the case with Celtic Sounds, though.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
ralphsilat

Post by ralphsilat »

I'll be getting Universal Piper next. Thanks!