Getting sound out of iPhones without headphone jacks

Use this forum to ask questions about procedures for connecting with MIDI host devices and apps.
admin
Site Admin

Getting sound out of iPhones without headphone jacks

Post by admin »

I added this to the FAQ, but I thought I'd mention it here as well. I've had some questions about the newer iPhones without headphone jacks, which make it challenging to use USB MIDI and headphones at the same time. I've been told that this external USB hub/audio interface works well, and it is reasonably priced:

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-External- ... xPDs1ocZ9Y

You still need the Apple Camera Connection kit in addition to this, but it gives you a headphone jack as well as a charging port that you can power with a micro USB charger.

Another option is the Apple iPhone Lightning Dock, which also adds a headphone output:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MNN6 ... dock-black

Again, you would still need the Apple Camera Connection kit.

FWIW, this Belkin adapter apparently does NOT work for USB MIDI, though Belkin claims that it supports syncing:

https://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F8J212/
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
Shiftif62

Re: Getting sound out of iPhones without headphone jacks

Post by Shiftif62 »

Can confirm that the UGREEN works with my iphone 8. Also for the Apple Camera Connection Kit, I would recommend getting the official one regardless of price. I bought a cheap adapter only to find out it didn’t work. Not worth the hassle in my opinion.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay, thanks! I had another report today that a non-Apple connection kit didn’t work.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
ubizmo

Post by ubizmo »

I take it this hub would also work with Android devices that lack a headphone jack, if you use a USB OTG adapter to go from device to hub. I've ordered a WARBL but don't expect delivery for a few more weeks. In the meantime, I'm trying to get familiar with what I'll need.

I have an AOMAIS GO Bluetooth speaker that works well with aux input, with no discernible lag, tested with aerophone GO, now sold. Before selling the Aerophone, I also tested the FluidSynth app on my OnePlus 6T, and the result was very encouraging. But the OnePlus also lacks a headphone jack, so I'll need this additional gadget, at least until I finally break down and get an iPad mini or something.
2Dog

Post by 2Dog »

I am finding that the ipad mini hits the sweet spot for form factor and functionality with the WARBL. I keep all my old i gadgets and just use them for music apps. If you get a used one make sure it has plenty of memory (128g is plenty) I keep all my sheet music, audio files and music apps on it. In other situations where I need to read sheet music I use the ipad pro 12.9. The newer ipad pro ditched the audio out but you can still use the adapter if you keep it fully charged before using it. I put it in airplane mode to help with battery drain.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I see that in the Q & A for that USB hub/sound card someone asked whether it is compatible with Android, and the answer was that it is not. I don’t know why, and maybe it works with some devices and not others, I’m not sure. There may also be other hubs that do work, but I’m afraid I don’t know where to direct you. I didn’t realize that there are Android devices without headphones too— it’s an unfortunate trend.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
ubizmo

Post by ubizmo »

Good catch. Yes, the trend away from headphone jacks is regrettable. Thanks for posting that.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ubizmo, did you end up finding an adapter that works with Android? I’ve had someone else ask about this.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
Britisa

Re: Getting sound out of iPhones/Android phones without headphone jacks

Post by Britisa »

Hi,

With my OnePlus 5, I use FluidSynth and the headphone jack because when I tried using my bluetooth headphones, the latency was horrendous. I am thinking of upgrading my phone this year but most flagships these days have done away with the headphone jack. I looked at the Huawei P30 as I want a decent camera but the processor chip is not brilliant.

I have tried various adaptors with FluidSynth on my husband's OnePlus 7 which doen't have a headphone jack and nothing seems to work so far to connect the Warbl to the phone :
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07RGT ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07Y52 ... UTF8&psc=1
It either does not recognise the device (UGreen) or the latency is so awful it's impossible to play (Aceyoon).

Has anyone found an adaptor that works for android ?

The other route is of course Apple but before I shell out the big bucks, is anyone using the Warbl with an iPhone 11 (i.e. camera/headphone adaptor as in the link below) or camera adaptor plus bluetooth headphones (if the latency is bearable) ?

Thank you for your advice :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Unfortunately, Bluetooth headphones will always have too much latency to use with MIDI, because Bluetooth is a fairly slow protocol and audio contains a lot of data to send over the air.

I haven't heard yet of an adapter for Android that works well, but it seems that there must be some available. I would search for ones where someone has mentioned that they work well with a MIDI keyboard, etc. They should also be listed as compatible with "charging and data", not just charging. I'll keep searching for something, but hopefully someone else with chime in here if they've had success.

Its seems to be easier to find ones that work well with iPhones, and that combined with the fact that iPhones have lower latency and more options for apps leads me to recommend those instead, but I realize that the price is a big factor. Your link at the bottom of your post doesn't seem to work, but the UGreen adapter I mentioned in the beginning of this thread seems to work well for iPhones (but not for Android). I haven't tried it yet, but this adapter *looks* like it would work as well:

https://www.amazon.com/USB-Camera-Adapt ... 5ONhWaKlbQ

The advantage of the one above is that you wouldn't need the Apple Camera Connection Kit as well, because it plugs directly into the Lightning port. Someone in the comments indicated that it works well with MIDI, but I may order one to try, in which case I'll report back here. It appears that this adapter is sold on Amazon under several different brand names.

It sounds like there will continue to be more phones without headphone jacks, so I'd like to compile a list of adapters that work.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz