Proposed longer WARBL version for pipers

Feel free to post any broad WARBL questions or comments here.
admin
Site Admin

Proposed longer WARBL version for pipers

Post by admin »

Hello all, I've had some requests for a longer version of WARBL that will be easier for pipers to play, and I'd like to make that available in 2020. I've been looking at options for the hole spacing, and I'm currently considering using the spacing from the McCallum "regular" GHB practice chanter, or possibly (if necessary) the standard GHB hole spacing (the same as the McCallum "long" practice chanter). My hope is that either one of those would also be more comfortable for uilleann player than the current WARBL.

In attached diagram, I've compared the WARBL with several other chanters. The main difference between WARBL and the others is that the spacing of the bottom three holes is shorter on WARBL, a decision I made in the original version to make it as compact as possible and also make it familiar to D whistle players. Pipers have told me that just increasing the spacing between those three holes would make a big difference for pipers, so my hope is that by using the "regular" practice chanter spacing the new WARBL version will have broader appeal to pipers. The overall length of the WARBL enclosure would only need to be around 1/2" (13 mm) longer than the original one.

I'd love to have hear some feedback on all this.

Thanks!

-Andrew
Attachments
Longer WARBL hole spacing.jpg
Longer WARBL hole spacing.jpg (174.9 KiB) Viewed 7111 times
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
fprintf

Re: Proposed longer WARBL version for pipers

Post by fprintf »

If you build the long practice chanter version I'll be among the first in line. Your product definitely has all the features I'm looking for, just not quite the correct finger spacing compared with dedicated e-chanters on the market. What a great idea!!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Great, thanks! I’m mostly likely going to use the “regular” practice chanter spacing. There’s also a lengthy discussion about this on the WARBL Facebook page, where people have proposed a few other possible changes.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
fprintf

Post by fprintf »

Ok I think the McCallum regular practice chanter will work. Just followed the Facebook group, can't wait to hear when the new version becomes available. Like another writer said, the whistle sizing/aspects of it are less appealing than the bagpipe aspects (though I don't need to go as far as having a bag with a valve and variable pressure for overblowing).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks! Yes, the new version will be almost identical in other regards (about 3 mm longer overall) but will have the regular practice chanter spacing (also almost identical to Gaita). It will be still be fine for whistle players as well. I'm waiting for prototype PCBs, but everything in China is on hold because of corona virus, so it may be a little while ;)
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
bartek87

Post by bartek87 »

Do You know when and for what price You will be selling Uileann D chanter?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I hope to have the longer version available in about three months. Just to be clear, though, it will have the "standard" GHB practice chanter spacing, so it will still be shorter than an uilleann chanter, but it should be more comfortable for an uilleann player than the current version. My plan is to have it supersede the current version, and the price will be the same ($250).
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
Deisman

Post by Deisman »

Andrew,
Please add me to the “pre-order” list if one exists.
Thank you
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sure, thanks! If you don't mind sending me an email, then I won't have to rely on this board to get in touch when the time comes.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
Fiddlerwill

Post by Fiddlerwill »

Brilliant, PM sent

Also where is the FB discussion? Which group ? Thanks