A whistle soundfont for Android/Windows users

Questions discussions about the things that actually make the sound, i.e. MIDI apps, synthesizers, soft synths, etc.
admin
Site Admin

A whistle soundfont for Android/Windows users

Post by admin »

A lot of Android and Windows users have asked me if there are tin whistle sounds available, so I put together an SF2 soundfont that can be opened in FluidSynth on Android, or in a number of DAW apps in Windows. I think it sounds reasonably decent for a first attempt ;) I don't have an Android phone, but I tested it in FluidSynth on my son's Chromebook, and that works fine. Here it is:

https://warbl.xyz/soundfonts/WARBL_whistle1.sf2
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
jwatson

Re: A whistle soundfont for Android/Windows users

Post by jwatson »

Thanks very much for this, the soundfont works perfectly with 'QSynth' (a front end to FluidSynth) on Linux.

Download and copy the soundfont file to the /user/share/soundfonts/ directory.
Started QSynth and Click the setup button followed by the soundfonts tab.
Select 'Open' and select the WARBL soundfont.

A useful resource for setting up MIDI controllers on Linux may be found at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/US ... ynthesizer.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Great, I'm glad it works well!
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
Britisa

Post by Britisa »

Hi,
I'm using your soundfont with Fluidsynth and it does not sound like a tin whistle... I don't know what I'm doing wrong :(
When I select the Warbl on the app it comes up as "#6, Mowry Stringed Instruments WARBL (0), the Internal SoundFont is disabled and the only SoundFont I have downloaded is the WARBL_whistle1.sf2
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hmm, that’s odd—what does it sound like? The only Android device I have to test it on is a Chromebook, but I assume FluidSynth is the same on other devices. My settings sound exactly the same as yours, but it sounds very much like a whistle on mine.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
Britisa

Post by Britisa »

Hi,
Well, it sounds like a cross between a squeezebox and a fiddle :? I have attached screen captures of my settings on the configuration tool.
Thank you for your help :)
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-05-22 at 16.41.32.png
Screenshot 2020-05-22 at 16.41.32.png (163.27 KiB) Viewed 8796 times
Screenshot 2020-05-22 at 16.41.18.png
Screenshot 2020-05-22 at 16.41.18.png (235.95 KiB) Viewed 8796 times
Last edited by Britisa on Sat May 23, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I suspect it's something with Fuidsynth rather than something with WARBL, though you may try unchecking "Send pressure as CC" and "Send pressure as velocity", in case Fluidsynth is interpreting those in a weird way. Also, after saving your settings I would try making sure that you don't have the Configuration Tool open at the same time as FluidSynth, in case that for some reason is causing problems. If you want to post some screenshots from FluidSynth that may help.

If you use other soundfonts in Fluidsynth do they sound as you would expect?
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Also, once you have firmware v. 1.8 installed, you can turn on the "Force max veocity" switch and leave those other two (CC, velocity) turned off. That way it will always send notes with maximum volume, without having to use the workaround of mapping low pressures to high velocity.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
Britisa

Post by Britisa »

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for your reply, I have applied the new settings. Unfortunately, I have more to worry about now...
Since I've installed the 1.8 firmware, FluidSynth recognizes the Warbl but no sound comes out, same thing on the configuration tool at first connection.
The configuration tool knows there's a Warbl connected with the correct firmware, the pressure level alters when I blow into the Warbl and the sensors show blue dots where my fingers are. However, it takes random fiddling with resetting the default settings, changing the tab for the instrument, etc. before any sound comes out again.
On top of that, every time I connect the Warbl to my computer, it messes up the settings and I have to set them all up again.
I have made screen captures of the settings including the new ones you suggested but it drives me crazy to have to reset the configuration tool every time I connect the Warbl to my Mac. I don't understand why it won't work with Fluid Synth anymore, version 1.6 of the firmware never had any problems with it.
Any suggestions, please ?
I am at my wits' end :cry:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I believe we’ve resolved this, but if anyone has similar problems, please let me know.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz