Sending velocity

Use this forum to report bugs or request new features for WARBL, including fingering chart suggestions.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sending velocity

Post by admin »

I updated the beta version on GitHub mentioned above. I added a small delay before mapping the pressure to velocity, only if there wasn't previously a note playing, which allows the pressure to build before sampling it. The delay is only introduced if you have the velocity switch turned on. I think it responds to attack pretty well, and you can of course customize the mapping the same as you can when you're sending pressure to a CC. I don't think most players will want this turned on, but it might be helpful if you're using a synth that changes the attack base on velocity.

I also added legato, meaning simply that NoteOff events are sent immediately after NoteOn events now (instead of immediately before), which can in theory signal some synths to play legato. I don't have one to test this with... I thought Roland Sound Canvas might do it, but I can't tell hear any change.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
jimhanks

Post by jimhanks »

good changes! I'm still catching up from a graduation weekend but hoping to try this out soon.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Jim, no hurry!
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
jimhanks

Post by jimhanks »

ok, I have WARBL_1.5_Beta_1.ino.hex loaded.

Velocity and legato seem to be working as advertised. The Thor synth in Reason has a "mono legato" mode and it seems to be responding properly to the WARBL.

One problem though: The first NoteOn message from silence seems to go missing pretty consistently. This does seem tied to the "Send pressure as velocity" toggle as I cannot induce that behavior with it off. Something about the new delay messing up the note generation logic?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay, thanks Jim. Did you try increasing the minimum output (the left side of the bottom slider)? It’s possible that the velocity is so low that it’s not producing sound(?). Or there may be a bug—I’ll take a look tomorrow. It’s definitely a challenge to map the pressure for that first note without introducing too much of a delay.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
jimhanks

Post by jimhanks »

I did not try increasing the minimum output, but I was recording MIDI in Reason, and there was no note event recorded - even though it was recording breath and pitch bend data at the point the note should have been. As soon as a second (legato?) note is played, that note is generated and all subsequent notes until pressure returns to zero. Then the next "first" is skipped, etc.

But velocity is working as intended for the second/subsequent notes. For example, playing a piano patch responds just like hitting a key soft or hard. (though why you would want to play a piano with a wind controller I have no idea. ;) )
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay, thanks. I’ll check it out with a MIDI monitor and see if can straighten it out.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
jimhanks

Post by jimhanks »

Just to follow up on this for anyone else trying this later, the suggestion to increase the minimum output was spot on. I discovered using the "MIDI console" reading that I was generating notes with zero velocity and my synths were ignoring that as a note event. Nudging the slider so that 1 was the minimum velocity value solved the problem. 8-)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Jim! This and a few other additions will be in the "official" 1.5 update, coming soon.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
gonzoB

Post by gonzoB »

Hi all.

Got my WARBL yesterday. I've encountered a problem with the velocity.
I'm sending pressure as CC2
I've switched off the "force max velocity" - it sends vel of 64 with all noteons. It plays OK.
When I switch on "send pressure as velocity", the velocity then adjusts with initial air pressure as it should, but occasionally (couple of times per minute) the note doesn't sound. The CC2s are coming through, but something happens to the noteon. Happens on two of my synths. Bug?

Gonzo

PS, I've compiled and loaded the latest firmware from Github
---------------------------
Gonzo Projects Page: https://gonzos.net/projects