Bell Sensor Bending

Feel free to post any broad WARBL questions or comments here.
2Dog

Bell Sensor Bending

Post by 2Dog » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:28 pm

Independent of any fingering, is there a configuration of the bell sensor to bend up? The ability to also bend both ways across the note pitch and adjust the range would be ideal. I have been able to use the bell sensor to bend down and get vibrato but it only goes in the down (flat) direction and back. I realize that you can bend up using pressure but it would be better (while sitting using guitar sounds) to be able to bend up similar to how a guitar string can be moved to bend up or a whammy bar is used to go both ways. Also realized that this is out of the scope of your original intent to emulate whistles and pipes that apparent bend down only.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Bell Sensor Bending

Post by admin » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:25 pm

No, sorry, it’s not currently possible to bend up, but I can consider it.

2Dog

Post by 2Dog » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:44 pm

Using WARBL in bag mode and with sax fingerings, I have been experimenting with alliterative ways of producing vibrato and bending but there are a lot of problems with each approach. Ruled out using a foot pedal due to the difficulty of getting a foot pedal to first send pitch bend, finding a pedal that will spring to center of the pitch and using the foot in a new way. I did hook a pedal to a Keith Macmillan 12 Step and sent pitch bend using either usb or PUC+ for BTLE midi. I only have vol and expression pedals and none of them could be easily used for vibrato but I did get it to bend for a string bend effect. Next I tried using my TEC Midi Breath and Bite controller and was able to get close to the type of vibrato I am looking for but when adding enough bend for string bend it is very difficult to control with your teeth. I am going to see if I can get better at it but only concentrate on vibrato. The attached video shows the config tool using Equator and you can see the settings and the effect they have. https://youtu.be/1AB061s9MKU There is a connectivity issue with the TEC as I could not get it to work with the PUC+ so it had to be connected via usb. That creates a problem with ios if you connect the WARBL via usb. I don't know of any way to connect two usbs to one iPad.. Also learned that the same bending settings produce different results depending which vst or app you use. Most apps do not give you the ability to change much on the midi side of things.

Not thinking the bell sensor would be good for vibrato and bending at this point. Finger vibrato might work for me if I raises the pitch slightly like the current finger vibrato which lowers the pitch slightly. Not sure as I don't have enough experience with using finger vibrato.

2Dog

Post by 2Dog » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:17 pm

Got the vibrato I was looking for but I am using another controller in my mouth along with the WARBL in bag mode on iOS. https://youtu.be/xn_hK1-ZbRQ. Vibrato is up and comes back to pitch. Not sure if finger vibrato can be reconfigured to produce this but it would be a big plus if it could. More detail is in the video description.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:05 pm

Sorry for the delayed response and my earlier brief reply, I've been on a road trip with my family just returned home. I can give this some consideration, but my current feeling is that it probably won't be high on my priority list because (as you mentioned) traditional musicians generally are more familiar with lowering a finger to bend a note down. I do actually have something similar in v.1.6 in the "custom" vibrato for GHB and Northumbrian pipes, where lifting a finger bends the note up, assuming lifting that finger doesn't trigger a different note. It may be possible to add it for other fingering charts like the modified sax one, but the problem is that it assumes a closed fingering system where only one or a few holes are uncovered to play most notes, so you have some holes available for vibrato (i.e. some fingers can be lifted without triggering a different note). Because the sax chart is more of an open system, few or no holes would be available for vibrato, because lifting a finger is likely to trigger a different note in most cases. That's why the vibrato is normally configured to bend down instead of up. These decisions around vibrato and slide all stem from the MIDI limitations that make it difficult to have smooth transitions between notes.